Friday, January 24, 2014

Meet our Board: Nichole Schlais

Name: Nichole Schlais 


Location: Orange Park

Family: Husband Joe, Daughter Landry (7), Son Noah (4) and our 5 dogs, the Beagle Bandits

Career: English and Speech Professor with Anthem Education

Current placement: Board member, Nominating Chair
 
Why did you join the League?
I joined the League to move beyond my circle of military friends. I stay in the League because I enjoy being part of such an exceptional group of people and I love being out in the community making a difference.

What has been your best Placement in Junior League and why? I enjoy being on the Board and being a voice for the membership, I am most proud of my time as a New Member advisor. My new members have continued with their League membership with many serving in Leadership and as Board members.

Who do you admire? I admire my husband. He is a Navy Chief and has deployed for half our relationship. It takes a strong man to walk away from his family to defend his country. I admire his strength and dedication. It’s not easy being a dad from across the globe, but he seems to do it effortlessly.

What do you do for fun? I love to go to Disney, the beach and Boston.

What is your greatest piece of advice to other Junior League of Jacksonville members? The first time I applied for leadership, someone I trusted told me to not to apply because she didn’t like the incoming President. It was at that point that I told myself I would never let one person, or personal feelings, keep me from doing what I wanted to do. I continue to follow this and pass it along when ever I can.  Only you are in charge of your destiny.

What's your favorite recipe from the any Junior League cookbook? Ortega Lemonade and the entire River Roads collection from the JL of Baton Rouge.

Tell us something interesting about yourself.  I traced my family back 13 generations so that I could apply for membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment