Friday, January 24, 2014

Meet our Board: Meg Folds

Name: Meg Folds

Location: Avondale – in the same house for almost 30 years

Family: Husband, Jim (just celebrated our 30th Anniversary) and son, Chris (29) and Abby the Yellow Lab (almost 4)

Career: Youth Programs Director, Leadership Jacksonville, Inc. – started after my JLJ Presidential term ended in 2002.  Prior to becoming JLJ President, I was a Global Account Manager for Avaya (spin off from AT&T), having worked for AT&T and its spin-offs for 20 years.  I took time off to serve as JLJ President and decided to stay in non-profit work.


Current placement: Board member, Sustainer Rep

Why did you join the League?  It was really a push from my Mom – or should I say nagging?  I had been President of my sorority in college and loved every aspect of it, especially the philanthropy. Mom knew I would enjoy the League. BUT, I started my Provisional year when my son was just a few weeks old and I was returning to my job with AT&T that required frequent travel.  Fortunately, my wonderful husband never balked at babysitting for all the meetings.  I took a week of vacation and worked most of the required 40 hours at the Thrift Shop.  Back in those days the vast majority of members wanted meetings and placements during the weekday.  I met another new mother that worked full time that was a Provisional. We took advantage of every night time and weekend volunteer opportunity and became best friends.  Not just Anne and I, but our husbands and my son and her daughter.  I love the League for giving me the opportunity for those deep friendships.  Also, I love the League because of the chance to make a positive difference in the community.  I am amazed what we accomplish year after year!  The League has opened so many doors for me …I certainly would not be working at Leadership Jacksonville without the League.




What has been your best Placement in Junior League and why? That is a hard one! While being President was wonderful, my favorites were Provisional (now called New Member) Chair and Jacksonville Jubilation Chair.  The committees were amazing for both and I made lifelong friendships. Both offered the opportunity to be creative. We did a lot of creative things with the Provisionals and did great Provisional projects.  The committee really loved the League and everyone was willing to go the extra mile to create a great experience for the newest members.  Jacksonville Jubilation was a huge all-day children’s festival at Metropolitan Park.  We partnered with University Medical Center (now UF Health), Comcast and the City of Jacksonville to provide a health fair, 3 stages of continuous entertainment, interesting craft projects, a luncheon, booths where children could work with meteorologist, learn about ecology and their own health.  The theme focused on a healthy you and healthy earth. It was amazing with LL Cool J, Boyz II Men, Mr. Goodbody, storytellers, musicians, dance troupes providing entertainment from the morning until night. We even did a full ½ promotion show that ran many times on cable channels. Having the City, Comcast and University Hospital join us to provide this incredible day free of charge for thousands of children and their families was a great gift to the community. I think about it often, because the committee presented me with this enormous framed collage of the poster and pictures from the day and the preparations.  It hangs on the wall of my office.

Who do you admire?  There are so many!  I look at all the women who blazed the trail for us to be able to have a career, family and volunteer.  Ladies in our League who made such a tremendous positive impact on our community like Tillie Fowler, Pam Paul, Carol Baumer, Susan Main, Helen Lane and so many more!

What do you do for fun? I love to entertain and plan parties.  So I also love reading cookbooks and magazines for ideas. I like to throw in unusual or unique twists.

What is your greatest piece of advice to other Junior League of Jacksonville members? From working with volunteers, I learned that everyone has something to give.  Figure out what their ‘gift’ is and use it.  It doesn’t matter that everyone doesn’t ‘give’ the same amount or in the same way.  You want them to feel great about their experience and be anxious to be of support.  Just because someone doesn’t do it like you would doesn’t make it wrong.  It has made me be much less of a control freak!!

What's your favorite recipe from the any Junior League cookbook? Unbelievable Garlic Bread from the Jacksonville & Company Cookbook.  It is so easy and a great accompaniment to a Low Country Boil.  Make plenty – guys especially love it!

Tell us something interesting about yourself.  Yikes!  I am addicted to Audio Books.  So I ‘read’ a lot of books going back and forth to the office and to our lakehouse – usually one a week.  I am happy to lend them.  If you see me sitting in a parking lot it is probably because I am at a good part and can’t bear to turn it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment